Monday, July 13, 2009

Gardening Together

We live in a condo with almost no green space for gardening. But that doesn't stop me, I use every bit of land I can find. Last year, I dug up the lawn in my next door neighbor's yard and planted a garden (read more in facing the sun.) I planted beets, chard, kale, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers and basil. My neighbor has added zucchini and butternut squash to the edges. We use three raised beds along the entry way to the condo building for salad mix, flowers, and Alita's carrots.















The number one thing I love about gardening with my daughter is she actually eats vegetables, but only in the garden. She can go all day turning her nose up to the same exact veggies I offer and as soon as we water the garden, she's happily picking and eating sugar snap peas, chard, and carrots. Eating a lot of them too! Insert a welcome sigh of relief from Mama, she is eating plants. To encourage this behavior, we planted some of her favorites.
Being that this is the second year with the garden, I have to say, it really is as easy and satisfying as it's cracked up to be. I ventured into the world of flowers this year. I planted a few wildflower and poppy mixes knowing nothing about what would result. Ahh, now this amazing. I get really excited about coming home to newly popping poppies and our own little field of urban wildflowers.















































New for this year, let the public know this is food we are growing.















Roots, shoots, buckets & boots : gardening together with children by Sharon Lovejoy...a lovely book with inspiring ideas and illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment