Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Eating In the Garden

A little garden tour is in order right about now. What once was a small slab of grass in my neighbor's side yard, has now after three years, become a true community garden. Read more about how I dug up my neighbor's yard at Gardening Together and Facing the Sun. This year, only half of what is growing here is ours. I love that I started this tradition and now it is being carried on by other folks in my building . . . making friends with our neighbor and growing food in her sunny plot.
As we approached the garden yesterday morning, I went straight to the tool shed and I hear "Awwww... look Mama," (as if she has seen a kitten) "the carrots are starting to come up. They look so cute." My smile is wide. How incredible it is that carrot seedlings elicit such a response.My intention with today's post is to show you how we have been eating IN the garden. As my daughter said the other day, "No greens in my smoothie! I only eat my greens in the garden now." Both of us are having a hard time getting our greens. She just has the will of being three and I'm green in the gills with first trimester nausea.
So one day we were having lunch outside, the fresh air helping my appetite and we started dipping pea vines and leaves in some leftover sauce. We both loved it and ate a LOT of greens this way. The peas may produce less this year, but mmmm.... fresh pea vines are delicious.So we moved onto the sunflowers that needed thinning yesterdayCombine a handful of sunflower sprouts with some leftover soy sauce and tofu. ... and gobble it down! I'm hoping the dipping sauce idea works for chard, kale and lettuce too!Chocolate Peppermint and SteviaNow onto dessert, these two herbs are a treat. Little Ita walks by and snips off a leaf or two just for pure taste. The choc mint tastes just like it sounds and the stevia is used as a sugar substitute and just that sweet. I may soon have to limit her to one little nibble a day until the plant is bigger. Look for the "culinary" label when shopping for delicious herbs. Wishing you and your little ones, creative ways of eating plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment