Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Holly Hobby Moment


Anyone remember the Holly Hobby Easy Bake Oven circa 1975? Did you have other Holly Hobby gagets? I've been having some strange holly hobby moments lately. Specifically, I remember making super-sugary concoctions in this little oven when I was a little girl and loving it. Then, of course, needing to re-create the moment for my daughter. (It's so strange what pops up out of my subconscious from my own childhood now that I'm a Mom.)

Although it's not the same as the Holly Hobby oven, I put our toaster oven on the table, put all the ingredients out and let her make her muffins. This last part being the tricky one. Let her make her muffins.

I love her Holly Hobby fashion sense


stir


wait

test

cool

yum



Okay, my Holly Hobby need has been satisfied.

We made our favorite gluten-free mini muffin recipe from my friend Lara and the Seattle Waldorf School.

Mini Muffin Mix ~gluten free
Makes about 12 small muffins

Tips:
  • These muffins are a great way to get more protein (replace the brown rice flour with garbanzo bean flour or coconut flour) and healthy stuff (adds nuts, sunflower seeds or shredded beats) into your kids.
  • Only turns out well in small muffin tins, or small amounts in regular muffin tin.
  • I have been using milk and butter, and like it better, but water and oil are fine too, and cheaper. Frozen blueberries and mashed old banana are recent fave additions. Shredded carrot/apple is good too.
  • I always double it.
DRY: 1 cup brown rice flour, ¼ c tapioca flour, ¾ teasp xanthum gum, ¾ tsp baking soda, ¼ tsp salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
WET: ½ c milk or water, 1/3 c olive or coconut oil or butter melted, 1/3 c maple syrup, shredded apple or other additions.

Very important: 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, *****add apple cider vinegar just before spooning into small muffin tin. Stir to blend in vinegar.

Mix dry. Blend in wet. Stir all together. Bake in preheated 375 oven for 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! We love this recipe and all the variations. Yay Alita, your very own muffins, you go girl! My favorite sheets when I was a girl were Holly Hobby. I remember loving them and studying the fashion for hours. Just today was trying to explain to Zander what are petticoats, he got it when I said, like Alita wears!--Lara

    ReplyDelete