Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tidepooling

Sea stars, sea anenomes, sea cucumbers, oh my!

I'd like to share with you some tidepool glory from our summer visit to the
beaches near Kalaloch on the Olympic Peninsula. I was in a state of awe the entire time we explored this rocky coast.


I had
never seen such vast colonies of sea anenomes... and that was what was visible above the water line. Their magnificent bright blue-green color really surprised me. I recently learned that some anenomes this size (larger than both of my hands together) are more than 60 yrs. old. Live on Grandmom anenomes! Then there's the starfish . . . their hues of bright orange and deep pink and the way they snuggle together.


I stood watching the turbulent waves rushing in, trying not to step on anything.




















This is what I hoped we would find when I put my 3 year old in the car for a five hour drive out to the Olympic Peninsula ... a natural phenomena that would blow my mind, and
it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment